The Moss Mansion Museum is open with key changes in place to safeguard against the spread of COVID-19.
- We have moved our Admissions Desk to make room for social distancing. Enter through the basement and start your visit at the Admissions Desk, end at the Gift Shop or exit through the Kitchen on the first floor.
- Our volunteers and staff have adopted several practices to keep us all safe and comfortable.
- They are cleaning high-touch surfaces at least each hour.
- They are wearing masks to protect you. Currently Montanans, under direction of the Governor and state and local health authorities, are kindly asking everyone to wear a mask while indoors in public places.
- They are encouraging groups to be mindful of capacity for each room according to Phase 2 guidelines.
- We offer touch-free transactions at Admissions and in our gift shop.
- The Moss Mansion Museum encourages guests to do their part to help keep everyone safe and healthy by practicing the following:
- Exercise social distancing and remain at least six feet apart from museum volunteers and other guests during your visit.
- Wear a mask when indoors in public places.
- Wash your hands for 20 seconds or use alcohol-based hand sanitizer before and after touching your face or any shared surface.
- When coughing and sneezing, wear a mask and/or cover your mouth and nose with a flexed elbow or tissue – discard tissue immediately in a trash bin.
- Do not visit the Moss Mansion if you, anyone in your household, or anyone you may have been in contact with in the last 14 days are feeling ill.
- Avoid close contact with people who are or may be sick.
Open from noon to 3:00 pm Thursday, Friday, Saturday, Sunday, Monday
Adults $12; Seniors and Military $10; Students age 6 to 18 $8; Children 5 and under FREE
Closed Tuesday and Wednesday.
Tours in October 2020: We will be featuring a fun selection of afternoon and evening activities on Thursdays, Fridays, and Saturdays in October. Self-Guided tours will be offered Sundays from noon to 3pm and Thursdays from 7pm to 9pm through October 30. See our calendar for details and other open and close dates.
Guided Tour By Appointment
Trunks & Treasures specialty tours, private tours, group tours over 10 guests, or school tours – call 406-256-5100 to schedule. Reservations required in advance; $15 per person, children 5 and under are free.
We make every effort to accommodate guests with physical challenges. Our public restrooms, located in the courtyard at the entrance to the museum, are fully accessible. There are many stairs in the home, including the entrance through the basement and between each of the three floors included on the tour. Access to the first floor is up four steps from the front entrance and can be made available upon request. While there are no lifts or elevators, we want to accommodate everyone we can. Calling ahead helps you and us prepare if special arrangements can be made.
Self-Guided Walking Tour of the Neighborhood Surrounding the Moss Mansion.
Enjoy the gorgeous grounds and surrounding historic neighborhood. These private homes can be viewed from the street; the tour includes historical and other interesting information about the builders and owners. Paper copies of the guide and map are available at the admissions desk during business hours, or you can use your mobile device to enter a URL available on signage outside the museum entrance.
Block-Out Dates and Holidays
The museum is closed on the following holidays:
- New Year’s Eve
- New Year’s Day
- First full week of January to the last Tuesday in January (annual cleaning)
- Easter Sunday
- Memorial Day (Monday)
- Fourth of July
- Labor Day (Monday)
- Halloween Day
- November 1 through November 14 (set-up for Christmas)
- Thanksgiving Day and Black Friday
- Christmas Eve
- Christmas Day
Other block-out dates for 2020 to be determined.
Moss Mansion Gift Shop
Our Gift Shop will be closed for renovations/preservation projects beginning September 14th until further notice. We hope to have it up and running again for the Christmas Holiday – we will keep you posted!
Shop this little trove of treasures in the basement of the museum during tour hours. Books, mugs, jewelry, toys, clothing and other trinkets and curiosities – mementos of your visit or special gifts for any occasion. The gift shop is also open during many events and fundraisers!
Directions to the Moss Mansion
Located in Downtown Billings, the Moss Mansion is easily accessible from the airport or the interstate.
- From the Interstate, take Billings Exit 450 from I-90 on N. 27th Street, to 3rd Avenue N. (a one-way street which leads directly to the Moss Mansion). Parallel parking is available on Yellowstone or Clark Avenues. (Clark Avenue is a one-way street with no entry directly from Division Street).
- From Logan International Airport, take Terminal Circle to the roundabout and N. 27th Street into the city center to 3rd Avenue N., a one-way street which leads directly to the Moss Mansion. Parking is also available on a lot on the corner of 3rd Avenue North and 34th Street (you will walk across Division Street to the museum).